Gustav Reiprich was born in Tepl, in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, in 1898 and served in the Austrian military during and after WWI. He and his wife lived in the Sudetenland, part of Czechoslovakia until it was annexed by Germany in 1938. In October 1939, he was drafted into the Wehrmacht. He was trained on the Czechoslovakian VZ-24 rifle and served as a guard in rear-area units- Landesschützen-Bataillon XX/XIII, later Landesschützen-Bataillon 820. He was discharged in November 1940 after a little over a year of active service. His discharge document is also shown.